The IBM release of its new DB2 10 for Linux, UNIX and Windows (LUW) provides additional functionality for everyone. Along with this announcement IBM announced a refresh of all their InfoSphere Optim tools for working with the new DB2 10 for LUW environments. Within all these tools IBM provides a great Eclipse base framework for managing and providing the new functionality as discussed in previous weeks’ blogs.
In the first week we discussed Adaptive Compression, Temporal Data, new security Row and Column Access Controls. Then the new multiple standby system (HADR) capabilities, the DB2 access paths improvements and consolidating DB2 pureScale code. Just last week we covered the new multi-temperature data management, the new NoSQL Graph Store and the SPARQL query language, and the new Continuous Data Ingest utility. All of this functionality needs tooling interfaces and the IBM Optim InfoSphere products provide interfaces to it all.
All the new DB2 10 for LUW Optim product versions for all the developers and administrators are listed below. I have seen some of the new functionality and it looks good.
- Data Studio V3.1.1
- InfoSphere Data Architect V8.1
- InfoSphere Optim Query Workload Tuner V3.1.1
- InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime V3.1.1
- InfoSphere Optim Performance Manager V5.1.1
- InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager V2.1.1
- InfoSphere Optim High Performance Unload V4.2.1
Given that a lot of these DB2 10 for LUW capabilities are brand new, the DBAs, developers and security officers are going to need some of this tooling for their duties.
- For DBAs and developers the new DB2 10 for LUW temporal table capabilities will help everyone through the temporal table syntax. These tools will also help them through all the validation of SQL query time travel considerations along with looking at the past values of row in the history table.
- Next the Optim product will help with storage configuration and capabilities. The existing compression and new DB2 10 for LUW adaptive compression capabilities will be able to be fully utilized to completely compress your databases. Also the database storage configuration can be analyzed and the multi-temperature storage capabilities used to configure your environmental workload to manage and maximize DB2 performance against the most important data.
- Next DBAs and developers can discover the new DB2 10 for LUW access paths through the Optim Data Studio and the Optim Query Workload Tuner products. These tools have been good over the years and continue to provide great detailed DB2 10 for LUW information to improve DB2 performance.
- Also the security people are going need help setting up the row and column access controls and the various Roles within the DB2 10 for LUW environment. DBAs should avoid these endless setup and security profile discussions and let the security personnel analyze the new security controls access, restrictions and workload considerations.
The International Technology Group (ITG) published research on the Cost/Benefit Case for IBM DB2 InfoSphere Optim Operational DBA Tools Comparing Costs and Capabilities with Oracle Database 11g. The report analyzed database support costs and talks about the savings from these DB2 10 for LUW Optim tools.
So check out all the DB2 10 for LUW Optim tools. I’ll see you at IDUG conference in Denver at the IBM booth getting even more in-depth info on all their capabilities.
I will be providing my first TWITTER comments during this year’s IDUG conference in May. I will highlight the various conference activities, presentations, vendors and IBM announcements. Please sign up to follow me on TWITTER (@DBeulke) and get all the latest IDUG DB2 related news from the conference.
Sign up for IDUG today!
I look forward to speaking at the IDUG DB2 Tech Conference 2012 North America conference. The conference will be held in Denver, Colorado on May 14-18, 2012. Sign up today at www.idug.org.
Also, I am beginning to plan my Regional DB2 User Group support for the rest of 2012. Please send an email to me at email@example.com if you would like me to come and speak or offer a DB2 class at your local user group.
Dave Beulke is an internationally recognized DB2 consultant, DB2 trainer and education instructor. Dave helps his clients improve their strategic direction, dramatically improve DB2 performance and reduce their CPU demand saving millions in their systems, databases and application areas within their mainframe, UNIX and Windows environments.